The Robbery of Guardado
“If we could renew Guardado, without any doubt we would. We have tried many times but up until now but we haven’t found the approval of Mario Ordiales, his representative. But we haven’t lost hope that it will end here. They have told me that Valencia are behind him but somebody else told me Sevilla could be his possible destination.” These are words of Augusto César Lendoiro, president of Deportivo de la Coruña from November 17, 2011 to let the fans know that Guardado made the decision to leave.
After the media made more speculation on Guardado’s possible move to Valencia on the 28th of October, Lendoiro responded to this by saying that he thinks Guardado will more likely make a move to Sevilla. Why? Because during the summer transfer window, Deportivo were negotiating with Sevilla to sign the Mexican midfielder, but what Lendoiro didn’t know, was that Guardado had already agreed to join Valencia verbally.
It is done.
Now, without a contract for the coming season and less than six months for his connections with the club to end, the player is now free and legal action is put in effect for Valencia. It can be said that Valencia beat Sevilla, who were set to pay for Guardado, and are now left without him. It seems that Sevilla has reached an agreement with Atletico de Madrid for the Spaniard Jose Antonio Reyes, and have resigned their attempts to sign Guardado.
The same happened with Villarreal, after selling Cazorla for 19 million euros, they were set to sign Guardado, but not even that amount of money could convince the Mexican to go for Villarreal instead of Valencia.
Coincidentally, Sevilla and Villarreal are Valencia’s next opponents.